Thursday, November 8, 2012

Nanny Tales: [Surprise!] "Krissa's Growin' a Man"

Fact: working with kids equals a complete lack of personal space and privacy (kids aren't old enough to stand OUTSIDE the stall of a public bathroom until well after they learn to stare at you peeing).

Unlike (most) nosy strangers, kids don't just look.  They also touch.  And ask.  All the time.

Here is a prime example:

I was taking Annabella swimming one summer afternoon.  We had to drive to the pool.  I got in my seat, and she sat directly behind me.  She needed a little help with her seatbelt.  I awkwardly turned around squishing my hips between the back of my seat and the steering wheel while trying to also not pop my shoulder out of joint in order to reach her buckle.  She pointed to my (now) exposed armpit and said, "Hey! What's that black stuff? Krissa's growin a man!"

I do shave.  Really.  I had only not shaved for about two days.  But if you remember from my last post, I have a lot of hair.

We got into a lengthy conversation about how men and women grow hair there.  Often though, women shave it.  This is why you've only seen it on men.  "Oh."

At the pool, she ran into one of her friends.  "Hey guess what, Marshall? Krissa's growin' a man!" This time, I just rolled my eyes.  Thankfully, the smart little fellow was not easily fooled, "No she's not! Krissa's a girl!"

A couple of days later, though, we were sitting on a bench outside our favorite ice cream place.  I was wearing a sleeveless dress and had my arm around her.  Suddenly, she turned and poked her finger IN my (sweaty) armpit.  "So you shaved?"

Thanks for noticing, my sweet friend.

No comments: