Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nanny Tales: A Family Prayer

Annabella’s family always prayed over their family dinners before they began eating. In an effort to teach their children to pray, Mom and Dad always welcomed prayer volunteers. Annabella loved to pray. She coerced the people sitting next to her to join hands and she would squeeze her eyes shut and thank God for everything…literally, except, inevitably, the food. This was a nightly occurrence. Mom and Dad were stumped as to how to encourage this reflection of faith and still get to eating in a timely manner. One such night, I was invited over for dinner. No surprise to anyone, Annabella volunteered to pray. She started in, “thank you for school, and the trees, and the grocery store three hours away, and the car tires.” At this point, she squinted her eyes to see the other people in the room and thanked God for them in the order in which we were sitting around the table, “thank you for mommy, and daddy, and brother, and sissy, but not Krissa. Thank you for the dog, and the cat, and the fish and the mouse. But not Krissa. Amen.” Of course after the first mention of my name (did I just get cursed by a 3-year-old?) the table erupted into laughter. After the not-so-solemn “Amen,” Dad assured me that “I shouldn’t take it personally.” I wonder sometimes what makes me love her so much? Love must be blind and deaf.

No comments: