Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fall Musings: Dying Well


I love fall. Experiencing its beauty was one of the better parts of moving back to Philadelphia. Virginia is beautiful, but we had the ocean there, not deciduous trees. In my new home in PA, I can look out my third-floor bedroom window and admire a smorgasbord of colors. There has not been a day this fall that I have not stared out my window and been thankful for those trees. In addition to the vibrant colors, fall brings some of my other favorites as well. I spend most of the year being hot and sweaty. Fall weather hints toward a break from this. I still break a sweat if I walk outside (I know, I’m like a man) and I still walk around in flip-flops but I can appreciate the crisp air and 50 degree days. Fall also brings some of my favorite food and drink. From December 1 through August 31, I look forward to pumpkin pie, fall beer, and pumpkin spice coffee. I think it is these things, not Christmas treats that make me put on my holiday pounds.
Fall makes me happy. It is my favorite season and I love everything about it. But I can’t help but think that my love for this season ignores one very important part of it. Fall is all about death. The gorgeous leaves on my beloved trees are dying. With Fall comes short days and little sunlight. Fall brings winter. And Winter is cold and harsh.
So in my love for Fall, am I just romanticizing the season and ignoring its reality? I don’t think so. I think I can love the season for all of its good things (and there are many!) while embracing (not ignoring) the reality of death and winter.
Fall does death well. Winter does come and that does make me sad. But Fall does not allow the reality of Winter to detract from its beauty. Fall doesn’t skulk off when Winter comes knocking. Instead, Fall stands valiantly and fights back. It leaves a legacy that none can forget and many anticipate.
And while Winter does come, death does not win. We know Spring will arrive in just a few months bringing with it fresh new life and breathtaking beauty.
More to come…

No comments: